Sunday, December 05, 2004

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas--except here in Florida!

I thought that this would be a good time to talk about Christmas, with it coming up and all....Actually, I have been thinking about something quite profound, and I believe often overlooked. This topic is the division of labor for Christmas between men and women. Truth be told, it is amazing how much us women have to do. Ok, best I can tell, this is how the division of duties usually falls out.

Man:
Hang lights
Fall off ladder
Bring in Christmas tree and string with lights
Bring boxes down from the attic
Shop for presents on Christmas Eve
Eat cookies left for Santa Claus

Woman:
Write and mail Christmas cards
Bake Christmas Cookies
Cook Christmas Dinner
Buy Christmas presents all year long and then wrap them a month before Christmas
Decorate the Christmas tree
Shop for special groceries
Decorate the house
Make a ridiculously complicated Christmas centerpiece for the table
Clean like a maniac for that one relative you know will comment if there is a speck of dust
Dress the children for Christmas Eve
Dress the husband for Christmas Eve
Dress herself for Christmas Eve
Clean up after Christmas dinner
Throw away all the wrappings from the ten minutes of frenzied gift opening
Be very grateful for the wonderful family that she is a part of.

I say this all in jest, as each person does have their own special roles, but truly, as long as your family is happy, it really doesn't matter how you divide your holiday preparations. Just remember, though, that in the midst of all of the hustle and bustle and commercialism, it all boils down to the baby born in Bethlehem 2000 years ago. If you forget that, then you've missed Christmas, no matter how many Christmas cards you've sent or how many nursing homes you've caroled at. So let's go on and keep it real :-)

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Aaron & Venessa said...

We hope you both had a great Christmas! We miss you guys. Also, when it comes to how much most females do for Christmas as compared to how much most males do the sad thing is we females put those burdens on our own shoulders! Why is it the males or at least the ones I know can simply not care, and yet I and most of my female friends have to care about every detail, and feel that if we miss one small thing we are slackers? Oh well. :O)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Site Counters