Living the Simple Life
It occurred to me today that so much of my life is really quite unnecessary! Now I'll bet that sounds funny, cause to some extent it is. I mean, looking around our place I see all sorts of gadgets and gizmos that are really helpful or fun, but do I really need it? No.
The thing that brought this into the sharpest relief for me was when I sat down to make a budget for some of our financial goals recently. Holy cow! I couldn't believe how much money was just going into fun stuff and some of it, I wasn't even sure where it was going. How easy it is to swipe the plastic and worry about it later...
Anyway, another thing that I have been thinking about lately is how much society pressures women to be career minded. Not that I think having a career is bad for a woman, heavens, I have a career myself. But honestly, I would love to be a home-maker! Why? Not so I could sit and eat chocolate while watching soap operas all day....but because I honestly believe that my purpose is fulfilled in life by caring for my family, and I feel that I could do that best by making it my "career". Now I respect those who have legitimate needs to have both parents work. However, I know that for our future family it will not be worth the costs in childcare and lost time with our children for me to work out of the home. I would rather have to scrounge for pennies than to miss a single second of precious time with my family.
Anyway, I don't want to belabor the point, but I just wanted to share my thoughts. Now let's go and make a difference, k? :-)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home